Thursday, June 10, 2010

Pain in the NEC

I had a rough night. Early Wednesday morning, my tummy was hurting and I had a bloody poop. The Neonatologist called Mommy at 2AM and let her know that I have inflammation of my bowels. They had to put me back on the ventilator and give me some IV antibiotics yesterday. I heard the doctor telling Mommy and Daddy that I have to stop feeding on milk for two weeks so my intestines can rest and heal. I will be just getting my nutrition from TPN again....boring...no sweet Mommy's milk.

The doctor is afraid that if the inflammation in my intestines gets worst, I might get a hole in the intestinal wall called a perforation...that would be bad. I would then need to have surgery to remove any of the bad intestines. They said this is called NEC (necrotizing enterocolitis)....I call it a pain in the neck, because of the ventilator and no more yummy milk for two weeks. They also stuck a line in my vein on my head to give me a blood transfusion. So I am getting packed red blood cells, platelets and plasma....all good stuff that will help me get better quicker and give me back some color...the pale goth look doesn't work for me and worst than the yellow jaundice tone.

Well the only good thing is that now I get a fun new IV drip of fentanyl, which is like 100x as potent as morphine...Mommy thought the epidural was good....fentanyl is Da Bomb!

So I am resting comfortably with all the new tubes. It's a bit of a pain, they are poking and sticking me all the time and taking X-rays to check for air pockets in my abdominal cavity, but I know it's for my own good. Daddy said I will hear that ("it's for your own good") many times as I grow up. I told him to start saving for that SL55...even with this setback...Pilsbury Dough Boy doesn't have a chance...I am going to come back strong and pack on the ounces. Mommy keep pumping, keep the milk in the freezer...Baby Girl wants some "Milksicles."

No comments:

Post a Comment