Thursday, July 8, 2010

Screaming = Feeding



I've discovered that if I scream and cry really loud I can get a feeding. Dr. Terri restarted my feeding yesterday, but instead of Mommy's milk I am going to ease back to feeding with a predigested formula. Yes...it does sound kind of gross but it's not that bad and better than getting feed TPN via a tube in my scalp. You see that clear plastic cup on my head....look closely and see the green tip...well that is a IV needle...Daddy said I look like I have a lawn dart stuck in my head.

I am not experiencing "dumping syndrome" anymore (Mommy says I inherited that from Daddy)...which is when my feeding enters my small intestine too quickly....that is why there was white milky liquid in my ostomy bag and Dr. Terri was worried that I wasn't absorbing nutrients, so she wanted my intestines to rest a bit. Dr. Terri explained to Daddy that because I didn't feed for two weeks after my surgery, my intestines were not producing the same amount of digestive enzymes to be able to handle the amount of milk I was getting. So we needed to ease back into the milk feeding so I am getting Pregestimil, which is easier on my intestines.


Daddy said it's like his lactose intolerance, if he eats just a bit of cheese or ice cream everything is fine but if he eats too much or drinks milk....he gets "dumping syndrome." But I find it hard to believe he just eats a little bit of cheese or ice cream by the size of his belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment